In this toolkit
Why use technology to make change? What do you need to know?
- Social media is a powerful tool that can facilitate public advocacy
- List of popular social media
- Digital technology allows its users to reach bigger audiences and generate support
- Facilitates the creation and maintenance of social networks and support systems
- Persons in rural/remote areas can access bigger audiences without the burden of commuting to the city
- Especially if they do not have access to affordable transportation services
- It enables consumers to contact public officials/figures with ease
- Digital technology allows for the rapid dissemination of information
- Social media has many purposes/functions: news, entertainment, etc.
- Social media impacts the discussion of news events by allowing its users to join the discourse
Making use of technology meaningfully and impactfully
Use accessibility settings/tools to include all social media consumers/users in discourse/work.
Some popular hashtags:
- Canadian Politics: #cdnpoli #canpoli
- Women in Politics: #WomenInPolitics #WomeninLeadership
- Some regional hashtags: #onpoli #abpoli #bcpoli #peipoli #ottpoli #vanpoli